One of my favorite Christmas traditions is pulling out all the holiday movies and moving them into rotation on the DVD player. Here are my top five kid shows:
1. A Charlie Brown Christmas. The pinnacle of Christmas-ness for me! It brings back great feelings of being cozy in my feetie pj's, snuggled in front of our small TV on our family room rug. Such a great message, and Bible verses -- what more could you want?
2. The Year Without a Santa Claus. Who could forget the Heat Miser and Cold Miser? And "I believe in Santa Claus" will be stuck in my brain for eternity.
3. The Santa Clause (plus II and III). I loved the original, and really enjoyed the two follow-ups as well. Tim Allen is a darned believable Santa, and these three movies have given us many quotable lines ("MMMM! I LOVE COCOA!" and "Well, isn't that a pretty picture. Santa coming down the street in a Panzer!")
4. Jingle All the Way. John and I saw this in the theaters when it came out, and I'll admit it was pretty lousy. But for some reason, we bought it on VHS a few years later. Now, it's one of the most-watched movies in our house. Sinbad is unbeatable as the slightly psycho postman, Arnie is wonderfully comic against Rita Wilson's straight man, and the meddlesome neighbor is perfectly played by the late, great Phil Hartman. ("Balthazar!")
5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I love the remake with Jim Carrey, but nothing beats the original. I imagine my children's children will be watching this someday!
Come back tomorrow when I share my top five family/adult Christmas movies (and before you ask, yes, they're all PG-rated!)
Did I miss any? Share your fave kids' Christmas shows!